Monday, July 28, 2014

Typhoon Glenda

Well I just wrote this and then it deleted itself so thats cool. But anyways yes I'm still alive haha. The Typhoon was crazy! So heres how it went down. The whole day we were waiting for the storm to hit. Mostly I just read, slept and ate rice. I love rice haha! At about 4 or 5 the storm hit us. Most of the day it just dumped buckets. But when the typhoon hit us it was all wind! It was crazy. We only had water come into our apartment, maybe 2 or 3 inches. It came under the doors and window panes. One time our upstairs doors busted open too!

Luckily I had my towel over my desk so none of my stuff got ruined. Me and my comp just held the doors shut for like an hour or so. The wind was so strong! I couldn't believe the force it had! It all ended at about 6 or 7 so we cleaned up a little and went to bed. The next morning things looked a lot different than they did before. If you've ever seen the movie "The Other Side of Heaven" at the part when they come out after the storm, thats what it looked like. There was fruit all over the ground, as well as trees, peoples houses, all sorts of stuff. Mostly everyone in our Branch was affected, some people even lost their houses. So mostly we've just done service for 2 weeks haha.

Our area is mostly cement houses, so we didn't have as much. We cleaned up the church a lot actually. I didn't hear of any deaths, but a lot of people don't have a house right now. Its good that we are here though to help clean up and help people haha. I remember after the storm everyone was just outside looking at everything and at each other haha. We ran down to a members house that lives close to us, luckily their wooden house was still standing. I've seen a lot of miracles and mercies from the Lord on my Mission, but there is no way their house should still be standing! They were so happy haha. These past 2 weeks I've gotten used to sleeping with no fan because there isn't any power. Also the mosquitos, but I've gotten a few bites haha.

The worlds worst sound now is a mosquito flying by your ear when you are asleep. I've also had some run ins with spiders at night now that I don't have a fan. I'll spare Dad by not telling those ones haha.

Well not much has happened. I'm gonna be transferring tomorrow. My trainer and one of the Americans that was back in Gubat with me are the APs, as well as I've got lots of friends at the Office. They told me I'm gonna like my Transfer so we'll see. I'm just happy I'm finally leaving Sorsogon Zone haha I've been here almost 1 year haha! Maybe I'll go to Bataan Island. They don't have power, but they do have bikes! I'm definitely down for a bike! Haha wish me luck!

Love Elder Akins

No comments:

Post a Comment